Monday, October 7, 2013

Four Wheeler

You never realize how important a four wheeler is on a farm until it tears up.  While your husband is out of town.

Try as I might it will not start.  So that means I have to use the wheel barrel to go and get hay.  Two bales in morning and two at night.  (Unless I'm sneaking to feed a little snack late at night.)  

After all my years growing up on farms you'd think I'd have the technique down pat for rolling around hay.  You see, we never had four wheelers growing up.  I do have the way to stack two at a time pretty much memorized.  Square hay bales will not lay flat in a wheel barrel.  So if you stack with high side near the handles you cannot see over the hay as you push along.  Bad idea.  Sometimes I get in a hurry or forget how to stack but plug right along hoping I don't run over anything and topple the wheel barrel....

Most of the time I'd save a lot of time if I'd just not be lazy and get one bale each trip for the total of two.  By the time I've made it around to feed horses I've lost balance of the wheel barrel and dumped the bales on the ground a few times.  Load.  Dump.  Re-load.  Dump.  Re-load...... Oh well.  Go figure.




Maybe with a late night snack the horses forgive and forget their impatience watching my silliness.  But I doubt it.




No comments:

Post a Comment