Thursday, March 27, 2014

Vacation???? Ugh....

Before Chris's busy season of horse showing begins I'd like to go on a short three or four day vacation.   Planning is proving next to impossible.

Chris and I started dating in 1990 or married in 1996.  Our honeymoon was a horse show and those have prevented many of a getting away trips.  It's hard to find people willing and capable of taking care of our farm.  And knowing how to tell when things are going wrong, such as being able to tell when a horse is sick.  Owning a farming/horse training business is a huge responsibility.  Horses are placed in our care.  And both Chris and I care deeply about that trust owners put into us.

Oh, we've been on one night trips in and around Sevier County.  We travel a lot for horse shows. But when at horse shows sight seeing is next to none.  That's not why Chris is out of town.  He is very busy with horses and customers.   All night. All day.  I've known many times he's slept in a chair next to stalls.  No time for sleep at a hotel. Or to weary to go.  It's trying work physically.   But he loves it.  That's all that matters.

Outer Banks 2009

Outer Banks-Chris went parasailing.  Me, um, no. They
offered to let me go free just to get me to try. hmmm...they
had no idea who I was.....Free or not. No way.
In 2009 we went to The Outer Banks.  It was the first time Chris had ever seen the ocean.  We had a great time.  We had a week's reservation.   There on Sunday, leave Saturday.  I had everything ready for our hotel.  My sister's family vacation is to the Outer Banks since 1997.  I have been with them twice.

I made reservations at little hotel they had used those two times.  It was old and a historical land mark.  When we pulled in and parked in front of the checkin Chris stared straight ahead.  He finally said, "Marna, this is the type of hotel people live in."  I said no, it's a historical landmark.  It's a bit old but right on the beach.  Wonderful history.  Chris said, "No...this is the kinda place people LIVE in."

We had a good week but on Wednesday night Chris said in a quite tone, "I'm kinda ready to go home."
I looked at him and said, "Me too."
So we checked out on Thursday and headed home.

Outer Banks 2009



Cruising-first stop-Key West



The next time we tried a vacation in December 2010.  I'd been through six rounds of chemo and would be finishing up my last radiation the week of the trip.  Our friends from Ohio really wanted us to go.  So we did.  And we enjoyed somewhat.  I was just growing my hair out.  It was a mess.  But I didn't wear a scarf.  I was on vacation and didn't want a old hot scarf on my head.  I was also very tired from the radiation treatments and also because of them couldn't be in full sun.  Or swim.



Chris and I will probably never go on another cruise.  We didn't enjoy it enough to.  However, had I not been sick and tired the outcome may have been more positive.

Friends in Bahamas 
Last night on ship with friends


So back to now.  Beach, no.  Chris didn't care for the beach.  He would if I wanted but really he doesn't.  I tried to find a cabin on a lake somewhere that we could rent and take our boat.  He could wakeboard and then we can eat and see the sights.  I've called some at Nantahala Lake but haven't heard back.  They may not allow wakeboarding.

Chris said he wouldn't mind going to Vegas.  We aren't big on gambling.  But Chris only wants to see a
magic show.  (I hate magic)  If we go there I'd want to see the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam.  I just don't know if we have time to do all that.

My dream is Africa.  That isn't going to happened.  Chris said NO he will never go.  He doesn't care about seeing tigers.  I told him the tigers are in India and places.  Not on the plains of Africa.

I need ideas.  We have tons.  I'm afraid we'll go somewhere and it will turn out bad.  Then we have wasted three days.  Plus I cannot get in water with my wound which is still healing.  And physically can't do a lot because of that as well.  Cuts down on the possibilities of fun.

Chris said New Orleans.  I'm not feeling that.  I'd love to go to Niagra Falls.  But not really feeling like that either.

Decisions...Not being able to decide.  Does that mean I really don't want to go?









5 comments:

  1. I love vacations!!! Especially randon extended weekend ones :) Phil is not big on staying away from home too much. He would be content with never leaving Monroe County. We are complete opposites on that. So typically any vacation we take, are short lived. Here are some ideas though, that we have done or talked about doing.
    1. Savannah Georgia. Stay in the historical downtown area and check out River Road. Me and phil went for a weekend last October. Downtown was amazing. I could walk around there for hours. We found a map that had all the cool must see things and we walked around all night doing a scavenger hunt for all of them! So fun. If you wanted to see the beach, Tybee Island is only 20-25 minutes away. Its a really cute hippie island. Be really fun to bicycle around. However, if beach is not for you, you will have so much fun just hanging out in Savannah. Tons to do and see. On river road you will find people standing on a corner playing a saxophone while you can watch all the giant ships come in.
    2. Virginia (Williamsburg area). If you like historical stuff, old looking buildings, sight seeing, Virginia is always a good choice. We haven't been yet. We want to go for a weekend tho and stay in one of the old colonial bed and breakfast. his family went and hearing about all the cool things to see definitely made us start planning for a trip. Not to mention the drive to Virginia I hear is very pretty! I think they had a war there or something....idk, just know there is a lot of history.
    3. Sewanne TN. Stay in Red Oak Hollow Cottage. It is only about two hours from here. This is a beautiful family owned cottage tucked away in the mountains. Your even allowed to bring your dogs. This would be a quiet nature vacation. Tons of hiking to do, if hiking is your thing. Fields and fields of flowers if you go at the right time. There is a cute little quaint town with lots of fun unique places to eat.
    4. Blue Ridge Georgia. This is another nature trip. Very quiet. This trip would probably be best in Fall. Lots of beautiful mountains and colors to see. There is hiking trails and then dirt roads you can venture on with vehicles.
    5. Brevard North Carolina. Brevard is a gorgeous, lusciously green, quiet town just outside of Asheville, located right in the heart of Dupont State Forest and Pisgah National Forest. This area is famous for its high concentration of waterfalls all in close proximity. This is like Bald River Falls times 10 :). Lots of beautiful sights to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6. Asheville NC. If romance is what your looking for. Check out Cedar Crest Inn in Asheville. Its a very cute bed and breakfast with very ellaborate rooms, each one decorated differently.
    7. Nashville TN. Can we say Country music capital???!!! If you are planning a trip to Nashville, you have to stay in the Opryland Hotel. HAVE TO. If this is just a random weekend trip, just make sure you stay close to music street. Nashville has always been a fun place. Lots to see. However, more recently some even better things about Nashville have came up. First we have American Pickers! You know the tv show.....Well they have a shop located a few miles from downtown Nashville. So cool. You can go there and look at all the antiques they have found and buy them. Dont leave there without a really cool t-shirt. Second, since you are hitting up all the famous spots, you should definitely check out the bluebird cafe. It is where scenes from tv show Nashville has been filmed. This place is tiny!! Completely different than what it looks like on tv. Dont forget to go by Tootsies and watch some Karaoke. One more thing, if you are planning a trip here in the very near future. The play called Wicked is showing. I hear its a must see.
    8. New Orleans. I know this is kind of far, so unless flying, i dont think this would work for an extended weekend. I have only driven thru here. I use to live in TX. I have always wanted to go spend a few days here. I think the atmosphere will be so much fun and different than what we are use. Listening to the way they talk would be fun by itself. Listen to some Jazz and eat some Crawfish (totally just kidding, I would never eat crawfish). So many cool things to do and see. Bourbon street, go down to the Bayou and watch the fisherman bring in crabs and lobsters.......

    And, depending on how much you want to spend and how far you want to go, check on Groupon. There are always deals on getaways. A lot of times you can find all in one deals or all inclusive. I have seen some great offers and ideas!

    If you need some more ideas let me know! I love looking for fun things to do. Hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE the suggestions!! I think you need a trip blog with a fashion one!

      Delete
  3. I hope you guys find something to do, even if its just hanging around the house enjoying each others company.

    Oh how I miss my blog.....probably shouldn't have deleted it. Especially with all this good wedding material I could be sharing. Darn it. Anyhow, hope you are doing well. I have been following your progress with your reconstruction, even went back to 2011 and read some things. It really opened my eyes and made my heart ache for all the women who have gone thru what you have gone thru. Hope your feeling better and healing right up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll add my 2 cents worth, ain't much but maybe an idea. Savannah is a great spot, so is Charleston, Atlanta is great, too. Are you wanting to drive? Check out the great state of TN. Oh, my, the mountains! How I love the mountains of E TN and Western NC. Lots of hiking, waterfalls and plenty of wonderful restaurants. Highlands, NC is a great spot (going there in a week). Can't say enough about Asheville - one of my most favorite spots around. I could go on and on about the mountains.

    Callaway Gardens and FDR's Little White House both good spots to visit. Stone Mountain, GA. Have you ever climbed Stone Mountain? It's a challenge and they have a fantastic laser show. Lake Lanier, GA is supposed to be really nice. I've never been but have heard it's a nice spot.

    Lexington or Louisville, KY are both beautiful places. You would love KY Horse Park if you've never been.

    So many, many places that are fairly easy to get to, entertainment for a couple of days and a nice drive back home. You'll feel rested and relaxed.

    No matter what you decide, have fun, reconnect, rest and enjoy each others company. Have a glass of wine and thank me later.

    ReplyDelete