Monday, January 7, 2013

Misleading Little Boogers




Hummingbirds. What neat little creatures. By the end of summer I have so many hummingbirds I have to have two feeders. One on my front porch and one on my back.  Hummingbirds seem so serene and peaceful and ummmmm.......misleading.  Hummingbirds are extremely territorial, viscious little fighters. Watching them go at it is like having a free pay per view boxing match between Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez or a UFC fight between Ortiz and Liddell or watching Shea Weber slam Zetterberg's head into the boards during the Stanley Cup Playoffs.  The only difference is the entertainment value.  

When my hummingbirds fight I get mad and I feel like a teacher having to separate kids on a playground.  Birdwatching is supposed to be relaxing however in the fowl world it's not going to be that way with hummingbirds.  Maybe I need to switch what kind of birds to feed this year. Oh wait. I have had thistle bags for finches but their bright yellow feathers drew in their chief enemy, a Cooper's Hawk.  Drawing the song birds in also draws in predators.  But I love birds of prey as well.  Ahhhh, nature.

Cooper's Hawk on our front porch on the lookout for dinner:


No comments:

Post a Comment