Monday, June 9, 2014

Southern Speak

More Southern Speak.  I keep writing down when I hear others say the phrases or when I actually say this stuff-or text to someone.  It's kinda scary how much I use Southern Slang in my everyday life!

  • Piddle/piddling = killing time, wasting time, unproductive
  • Family coming in = your family is visiting from who do not live locally
  • Lands sakes alive! = exclamation
  • Holy Moly! = exclamation
  • Geez Louise = exclamation
  • Country belief = When it's raining and the cows run for the trees for shelter the rain isn't going to last long.  If the cows continue eating or laying down in the field the rain is here to stay for a few hours.
  • Take it = Guess.  "I take it we aren't going to go to the movies."
  • Fiddle/fiddling = killing time, wasting time, unproductive
  • Hob Knob = mingle with people of influence
  • High flu-looting = people who think they are better than others
  • I'm so hungry I could eat a sow and run a boar ten miles = hungry
  • Hey honey buns = a greeting to a woman
  • Doozy = big lie, big anything
  • I'm as poor as Job's turkey = poor
  • Quiet as a church mouse = someone who is shy, being quiet (I am often called this)
  • Stick in the mud = no fun (I've been called that too.  Hopefully in a joking way!)
  • I grew up there = church or community where you were raised
  • Real go getter = hard worker
  • Quit your nagging = stop complaining 
  • Nag = complain
  • Don't harp on me = stop complaining
  • Loafing = killing time, wasting time, unproductive
  • Out of it = asleep, drunk, crazy
  • Great day in the morning = exclamation
  • Plum give out = exhausted
  • Don't need to rush off = stay a while
  • Spitting snow = barely snowing
  • Drizzling rain = barely raining
  • Pouring rain = raining hard
  • Really coming down = raining hard or snowing hard
  • Neck of the woods = where you live
  • Clean up = shower, getting ready to go someone
  • You're welcome to it = you can have it
  • Someone asks: How did you manage that?  The person replies: it wudn't easy.
  • How on earth did that happen? = questioning exclamation
  • Quite a few = a lot
  • Y'all = you guys
  • Don't be a stranger now = keep in touch, come see me again, visit
  • Y'all come back now ya hear = visit
  • Let me speak at her = let me speak to her
  • Can't handle it = stressed out
  • Don't let the screen door shut on you on the way out = get out
  • Figured = thought
  • Old fart = don't do nothing you tell him, his way or no way at all
  • My way or the highway or your way or the highway = do it the way I want 
  • Tan your hide = spank, discipline
  • Dufus or dufus head = derogatory comment about someone
  • Yes Sir E Bob = yes or agree
  • No Sir E Bob = no or disagree
  • Fussing = arguing
  • Wore smack dab out = very tired, exhausted
  • I'm so hungry my stomach is touching my backbone! = hungry
  • Starving to death = hungry
  • I'm so hungry I could eat my right arm off = hungry
  • Wore to a frazzle = tired, exhausted 
  • Wind is blowing leaves inside out on trees means there is rain on its way
  • Turtle back in his shell

No comments:

Post a Comment