Monday, October 29, 2012

Life Lessons. Heaven.


After watching "Chasing Mavericks" last night I started thinking about life lessons.  The boy learning from his mentor.  His mentor learning from his student.  

My brother Gary died in 1979 when I was 7, nearly 8, in a jeep accident.  I was worried Gary had suffered and being so small questioned what happens after death. My momma and I had a lot of talks, about Heaven and God.  Talks a momma has with a child, a little girl.  

One day I asked momma what she thought Gary did in Heaven all day.  We talked about how he loved to fish and go jeep riding in the mountains.  Momma told me not to worry about Gary.  God had made Gary perfect and he was waiting for us all.    

When I was small I didn't like to read and liked studying even less.  Momma and I were talking about what we were going to do once we got to Heaven.  I told her that I wanted God to have a movie ready for me about the Bible.  That way I could watch the movie and not have to read the Bible stories.  Momma said "Oh no!  Not me.  I want to walk everywhere and see everything."  When momma died in 1990 I told Chris that I knew what she was doing.  She was walking, visiting, and seeing everything, everywhere.  

The past couple of years momma's talks about God and Heaven have seen me through some trying times.  Times where I learned that sitting and watching a movie are not the things I'd want to do anymore when the time rolls around.  Walking, visiting, and seeing everything, everywhere is more like it.  That and worshiping a God who has blessed me in so many rich and wonderful ways though I'm deserving of none.  One of the best of those blessing, a momma who took time in deep sorrow over the loss of a precious son to still my fears and offer comfort over loss.





Early 1970's - My brother Gary & friends
 They loved going 4-wheeling when it snowed
 


Early 1970's-Chris and I almost fell
into one of these one time with my Toyota
4 wheel drive truck in 1991



Early 1970's - My brother Gary and his friends.
Can you say stuck?



Early 1970's-sometimes they'd have 20 jeeps


Early 1970's. Gary and his friends
had so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment