Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Freak Show



Back in the 70's and 80's a traveling circus stopped in Monroe County.   Mom and Dad would usually take me and my nephew Jamey, who is my age.

One of my most vivid memories involved the "freak show".  I was probably between ages 4 and 6. Momma and I were walking by and I was looking at the hideous cartoon posters strapped on the side of the dirty trailer.  While peeking around one of the windows my mother said as she led me away, "Marna.  We aren't going in there.  It's not right to stare at or make fun of others."

Being a curious little girl I peeked once more over my shoulder as we walked quickly away.   I saw some of the "freaks" walking around behind a drape.  They didn't scare me but rather stirred a pity deep within.

A sadness still exists in me when confronted with situations resembling that night.  A deep resonating voice rises to remind me there are less fortunate than I.  A memory of a voice which taught me so very much about life and people and respect.

As I grow older, and harder, I sometimes wish I had that voice here, in flesh, to teach me new life lessons. The "freaks" in my life have changed from those people in childhood to something totally different throughout adulthood.

New advice is heard from others during the few times I try to open up and share, however, it's not the same guidance of youth from a great lady.  Her guidance was worth ten fold of anything a self help book or even friends try to provide.  Sooo...I usually don't seek help.  Figuring things out on your own while seeking help from above, is a better idea than to receive unwise council.

None can compare to my mother's guidance.  A mother's guidance which is needed more and more as years go by to deal with the, I call them freakish situations,  that crop up.


2 comments:

  1. I love this! You have such a wonderful perspective on things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading! I don't know if I'd say wonderful! Lol

    I left comments on your blog. Did any ever show up???

    ReplyDelete