Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Southern Slang

Here are some words/slang we use in Monroe County, TN and surrounding areas in East Tennessee.  Most is new to go along with the post from a while back: Air Words

Words and phrases are hard for me to define.  I just use them.  In my mind I think people know what I mean.  Some I've listed but just can't explain or define.

These words and phrases are natural to me.  So I always assume that everyone knows what they mean or use them as well.   Some may be universal.  But I figure most are not.

If you have any to share please do in the comments section.  Or if you know how to define one I don't or have a different definition than I please share as well.




  • From here = local resident all their life
  • I've lived here all my life = never lived in any other place other than Monroe County.
  • Great day in the morning!! is an expression of exasperation
  • Right off hand = expression said to someone that means I don't know
  • Poor folks.  Isn't referring to financial but it's an expression of empathy
  • Diddly squat = I don't care or I don't know
  • Country as worm dirt = person who isn't from town, grew up in the country
  • Thanks for having us over = expression of thanks after visiting someone's home
  • Air dirty laundry = over sharing private information
  • Pallet laid out for ya = bed.  generally said by a grandparent when grandchildren are spending the night.
  • Smaller it down = decrease
  • Bigger it up = increase
  • Hurts something awful = intense pain, physically or emotionally
  • Few and far between = something that is desirable but hard to find
  • Hung up on = craving something
  • Speak of the devil = expression said when talking with people and the person you are talking about walks up.
  • What do ya for? What do ya? = What can I do for you?
  • Fiddle fart around = haven't accomplished anything.  Lazy. Procrastinate.
  • put off something = procrastinate
  • Up the road a piece = direction
  • "I know who they are but I don't know em"
  • I know of them
  • I've heard of them
  • "I might recognize em if I see em"
  • "I have heard that name.  If I see em I'll know em"
  • "I know em but I can't place em"
  • Hung up on em = addicted
  • Haven't seen you forever = haven't seen you in a long time
  • Thank ye kindly = thank you very much
  • A'fore = before
  • Stuck in my craw = irritating situation
  • Take a gander = look at something
  • Panties in a wad = aggravated
  • Getting on my nerves = aggravated
  • Fussy fied = aggravated
  • Ain't big as a piss ant = small size
  • Ain't big as a fart = small size
  • Take a listen to this = said to someone before you tell them something
  • Mamaw and Papaw = grandmother and grandfather
  • Lives in the sticks = lives in the country not the town
  • Thanks for your trouble = thank you for your assistance
  • Give or take a few = approximate
  • Who are your kin = relatives
  • Who are your people = relatives
  • Whoop'n = spanking
  • Sunday week = a week from Sunday
  • Wait till I find you out = find or hear the truth
  • Where I'm from Dinner is Lunch;  Dinner is supper
  • Fetch me something = bring me something
  • Go get me = bring me something
  • Pick me up some = bring me something
  • Pert near = almost
  • Carry about your business = carry on; go do what you're supposed to do
  • Wishy washy = go either way; unsure
  • Not bent on something = unsure
  • Not keeping up with nothing = not paying attention
  • Coal oil = kerosene
  • Katie bar the door = trouble
  • Chimley = chimney
  • Tickled my funny bone = made me laugh
  • Do you need a lift = driven somewhere
  • Do you need a ride = driven somewhere
  • In cahoots = partners
  • Partners in crime = doing things together
  • Two peas in a pod = two people just alike; same as
  • Quite a while back = measure of time
  • "Don't roll around in the mud with a pig.  You'll both get dirty and the pig will like it."
  • Sorta = kind of
  • Sure is = positive 
  • Sure thing = Okay;  Someone says-- "Go buy a gallon a milk on your way home."  And your reply is "sure thing".
  • Switch/hickory = tree branch used to spank
  • Pokie = jail
  • Up the road a piece = distance
  • Hit the hay = go to bed
  • Sight for sore eyes = haven't seen someone you like in a long time
  • Going to spring city = going to bed (Spring City is a real town. We thought we were really going to get to go somewhere.)
  • Varmit
  • Bless your pea picking heart = said when you feel sorry for someone
  • Feel sorry for someone = sympathy or empathy
  • Pert near = almost
  • Scat there = said to someone after they sneeze
  • Scat there kitty cat. Get your tail outta the gravy. = Said to someone after they sneeze.
  • Now mind you = listen to
  • Hear me out = listen to what I have to say
  • Got along just fine = did okay
  • Chilly = cold outside
  • Mess = measuring unit
  • Varmit = someone mean
  • You little heathren = kid that arr mean
  • Stick in the mud = you're no fun
  • Shed of = rid of; throw away
  • Raise cane = complain
  • Stir up a stink = cause trouble
  • Ugly = behave badly
  • Nairy = none
  • Sweep under someone's feet it's believed they'll never marry.
  • Roast'n'ears = corn on the cob
  • Sore as the dickens = muscles are sore after a workout
  • Mud slinging = happens in politics a lot. Talk bad about someone.  Criticize in public or newspaper.
  • Telling somebody's business = gossiping about someone
  • Bickering = arguing
  • Talk bad about someone = criticize someone with gossip
  • Talk about someone = criticize someone with gossip
  • Put someone down = criticize someone with gossip
  • Plenty of time=- "Don't hurry. We have plenty of time to get there."
  • "Idle hands are the devils handiwork."
  • Get in everybody's business = be nosey = Be too inquisitive
  • "Don't be nosey." = Ask question you shouldn't.   Be too inquisitive
  • Prowl around = Be too inquisitive
  • Getting into something = Trouble
  • Ain't that the truth
  • Wouldn't do for me =
  • Ya'll doing okay = How are you
  • Snooping = Be too inquisitive
  • Bothersome = aggravate
  • Get on somebody's nerves = aggravate
  • Busy body = gossiper; someone who causes trouble
  • Fit to be tied = angry  
  • Dreckly = after while
  • Okie Dokie = Okay
  • "You don't know how much time you got" = don't know when we'll die
  • Courting = dating
  • "Give you a good talking too" = verbally reprimand
  • Fuss at = verbally reprimand 
  • Scold = verbally reprimand 

No comments:

Post a Comment