Thursday, December 11, 2014

Thanksgiving 2014 It used to be rolly-bat......................


Thanksgiving 2014 at my sisters Sharon's house.  We had a lot of fun catching up. And enjoyed a delicious breakfast for supper.



My sister Sharon and her two grandkids (my great nieces) 
Chelsea and Bella


My great niece Mallie Belle


Mallie and Pa


My nephew Jamey. Yes. He is older than me.
Ten months.  When we were kids we fought like brother and sister!
Jamey would tell me the aunt was supposed to mind the nephew.


My two sisters.  Sharon and Lynette.  "Nan" is
holding her grand-baby Mallie Belle.


Greg taught Chris and Jennifer his
secret award winning homemade 
biscuit recipe.


My great nephew Jack. Love the hair!



Jack playing with my sister Sharon's aussie pups.



Jamey and my niece Jessie cleaning.   I was too busy playing
hide and seek with the kids to help clean.  hahaha


"Nan" and Mallie Belle


Talking biscuits


Me and Christopher


Mallie Belle watching herself dance.



I love, love, love spending time with my family.  But Sunday afternoon dinners and holidays at our house with two tables full of family members dramatically changed after my mom died in 1990.  Or at least for me.  But I think the others as well.  Up until that time when the 12 or so of us who would have weekend or Sunday dinners and during holidays NEVER stayed in the house.  Everyone was always outside playing volleyball, rolly-bat, softball, badminton, sitting on the porch swing and sitting in chairs in yard while chatting.  And during the chaos of fun the kids would be running in and out of the house, hearing as they went the scream from some adult: "don't slam the screen door!!!"  Real screen doors, the real ones?  There is NO way to keep them from slamming.  I've tried.  Well. Tried a little....

Where did those times disappear too?  Why? I can sit around and yearn for those years.  I yearn for my momma.  She held the family to the traditions.

Now we get together much less often.  We have dinner on a holiday.  Sit and talk and I play with the kids a little.  We don't go outside.  It's depressing to me-looking back at the memories of the loving fun from childhood and compare it to what we do today.  Why doesn't anyone want to play roll-bat anymore.....



No comments:

Post a Comment